Recipe by Bobtail
I have not tried this, but the ingredients bring to mind a cool fall day and this cooking in the oven. I can almost smell the aroma! Cooking time does NOT include the overnight soaking of the beans. Hope you enjoy!
Top Review by Kittencal@recipezazz
This chicken recipe was made as a take-home meal for my DS, I doubled the complete recipe and still increased some ingredients slightly, I also added in fresh garlic, 1 onion and 1 tablespoon dried chili flakes, thanks for sharing Bobtail, my DS really enjoyed the recipe!...Kitten:)
- 2 1⁄2 cups kidney beans or 2 1⁄2 cups your favorite beans, soaked overnight and drained
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 slices bacon (thick slices or streak of lean/streak of fat or fatback)
- 2 lbs chicken pieces
- 1 tablespoon plain all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups cider
- 2⁄3 cup chicken stock
- 14 shallots
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 8 ounces ready cooked whole beetroots (beets)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Cook beans in salted boiling water for 25 minutes.
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a flameproof casserole (dutch oven or large stockpot).
- Add the bacon and chicken.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the flour.
- Add the cider and chicken stock, stirring to prevent lumps.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add the beans and the cover the pot.
- Bake for 2 hours.
- About 15 minutes before it is done, remove the lid.
- In a frying pan, gently cook the shallots and honey together for about 5 minutes.
- Turn the shallots frequently.
- Add the shallots and cooked beetroot to the casserole.
- Bake uncovered for 15 more minutes.