Prep 1 hr
Cook 55 mins
A Passion For Baking by Marcy Goldman. Chill time included in prep time.
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons water
- Stack two baking sheets together and line the top with parchment paper. You will need to repeat this for each batch.
- In a mixer bowl, using a whisk attachment, whisk egg yolks and sugar until thick and pale, 1 to 2 minutes. Slowly blend in softened butter and vanilla.
- Gradually add flour and salt, blending until dough is thick and stiff. If it is still quite soft add a bit more flour, a few tablespoons at a time. Knead dough gently and briefly on a lightly floured work surface. Then wrap dough well and refrigerate 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 3/4 inch thickness. Cut into 3 inch round cookies and place on prepared baking sheet. With tines of a fork make a criss cross pattern on the dough.
- For glaze, in a small bowl whisk egg yolks with water. Brush each cookie generously with egg wash mixture.
- Bake until golden on top and browned around the edges, 50 to 55 minutes. Let cool completely on baking sheets.