Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This twist on a breakfast favorite comes from my daughter Brittany, who is a cheese and onion lover. Great for lunch and as a dinner side also!
- 4 large russet potatoes
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided use
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided use
- 1 small onion, sliced thin
- parsley (to garnish) (optional)
- Microwave potatoes as you would for a baked potato, but cook until*slightly* underdone- 4 take 12-14 minutes on my microwave (or use leftover baked/cooked potatoes).
- When cool enough to handle, quarter potatoes and then cut into about 1 inch pieces (we leave the skins on).
- Heat 2 tbl of butter or oil in a large non-stick skillet (or if you just cooked bacon in the pan, you can reserve some of the bacon grease and use that to fry in).
- On medium heat, add onions and cook until 1 or 2 minutes before adding potatoes, salt and pepper, stirring to combine.
- Let cook for a few minutes, flipping or stirring gently, until onions are tender and potatoes are to desired crispness.
- If necessary, add additional butter or oil to prevent sticking.
- Remove home fries from pan and transfer into microwavable casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with one cup of cheese and fold in gently.
- Sprinkle remaining cup of cheese on top and microwave for 1 to 2 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle a bit of parsley on top, if desired.
Wonderful! What's not to love about potatoes, cheese, onions and butter together? I diced my potatoes before boiling (left skins on). Instead of microwaving them, I stuck them in the oven at 375 for a few minutes to melt the cheese. This is breakfast AND lunch for me today! Thanx for sharing. I'll make these a lot.
This recipe was a hit in our house. DH and DD loved it!!! Next time I will be making 3 times as much as we each could have eaten it all ourselves. ;) Thanks again Karen!
Fantastic!! I made these today for brunch. The only thing I changed was I had some bacon that needed to be used up so I diced it fried and used the drippings. Cooked bacon and onion together and finished as directed. I left out the butter, salt and pepper only because I forgot it. These are excellent. DH said this is how he wants his breakfast potatoes from now on. I have to agree. Thanks for posting. I made for 123 hits.