1/1 Photo of British Toad in the Hole (Sausages in Batter) With Sherry Onion
1 hr 15 mins
Pure traditional British comfort food, that isn't that much hassle to make. Can serve 4 people if served with mash potato, carrots and peas but sometimes I prefer to do away with the mash and just serve this for 2! Don't forget the sherry onion gravy which you'll probably wanna drink all on its own!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 thick pork sausages (I prefer cumberland or sage)
- 100 g plain flour (all purpose)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 pint milk, and water mixed
For the gravy
- 1Preheat the oven to 220C/425°F.
- 2Make the batter first by sifting the flour into a large bowl along with the salt, make a well in the centre, add the beaten egg and half and the milk and water mixture and whisk well so there are no lumps. Now add the rest of the milk and water mixture.
- 3Arrange the sausages in a casserole dish and put in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until slightly browned.
- 4Pour over the batter mixture and put back in the oven to bake for 30-40 minutes more or until golden brown, crispy and well risen.
- 5For the gravy:.
- 6Put the chopped onion, sherry and butter into a microwavable measuring jug, cover with cling film and microwave on high for 4 minutes
- 7make the gravy up according to manufactures instructions using the hot onion mixture as a base.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for British Toad in the Hole (Sausages in Batter) With Sherry Onion
Serving Size: 1 (340 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1109.2
- Calories from Fat 603
- Total Fat 67.0 g
- Saturated Fat 23.3 g
- Cholesterol 284.1 mg
- Sodium 1816.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 47.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: