1/11 Photos of British-Style Cheese and Onion Sandwich for 2
About a week ago I found a really good quality imported "extra mature farmhouse cheddar" cheese from the UK and decided to test it in this recipe which was recently featured on thekitchn.com. Use the best ingredients you can if at all possible: homemade bread and mayonnaise, etc. Q: I don't intend to step on any toes (especially British ones) but don't you think bacon/rashers would be delicious in this sandwich? A. yes. The bacon is optional of course. The husband discovered my secret stash of the farmhouse cheddar cheese and now most of it is gone! :/ Serving suggestion that we enjoyed with our sandwiches: C G's Baked Barbecue Beans, hard boiled eggs and fresh fruit. I believe this is my first English recipe posted here but the fine English people have no cause for concern.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 113.39 g cheese (such as Cheddar, Double Gloucester, Cotswold, or Red Leicester, for example)
- 29.58 ml finely chopped sweet white onions
- 29.58 ml finely sliced scallions (I used a combination of scallions and chives)
- 29.58 ml mayonnaise
- salt and pepper
- 4 slice bread (toasted or untoasted)
- 2-3 slice bacon, crisply cooked
- butter (leftover Irish butter from St. Patrick's Day...)
- 1Grate the cheese. Combine in a bowl with the onions and mayonnaise. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 2Spread the mixture between slices of buttered bread.
- 3If adding the optional bacon, arrange the slices on the bread.
- 4The filling also makes an excellent topping for baked potatoes (with the bacon crumbled).
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for British-Style Cheese and Onion Sandwich for 2
Serving Size: 1 (262 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 420.9
- Calories from Fat 216
- Total Fat 24.0 g
- Saturated Fat 11.0 g
- Cholesterol 45.6 mg
- Sodium 976.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 16.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: