Recipe by ncardie
great stick to your ribs meal for those cold winter nights. serve with mashed potatoes, carrots, mushy peas and lashings of gravy. my own recipe enjoy.
Top Review by moose_kristi
We lived in Britain for 4 years and we loved the steak and ale pies! I struggled with handling the pastry crusts, but that was just me being clumsy. I thought the gravy was a bit runny so I thickened it up a bit. I should have used a darker ale than what I had on hand, but this was still very flavorful!
- 500 g casserole beef, diced and rolled in
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 pint beef stock, made from stock cubes
- 500 ml beer
- salt and pepper
- pastry dough, puff ready made
Directions See How It's Made
- fry beef until browned.
- transfer to a large pan, add onions and mushrooms, beef stock, beer and salt and pepper. simmer for 1 hour until tender and the sauce thickened.
- add beef mixture to a large oven proofed dish.
- roll out puff pastry and place on the top of the beef mixture ensuring no gaps. brush milk with a pastry brush.
- bake in a preheated medium oven for 30 to 40 minutes until risen and brown.