Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
great stick to your ribs meal for those cold winter nights. serve with mashed potatoes, carrots, mushy peas and lashings of gravy. my own recipe enjoy.
- 500 g casserole beef, diced and rolled in
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 pint beef stock, made from stock cubes
- 500 ml beer
- salt and pepper
- pastry dough, puff ready made
- fry beef until browned.
- transfer to a large pan, add onions and mushrooms, beef stock, beer and salt and pepper. simmer for 1 hour until tender and the sauce thickened.
- add beef mixture to a large oven proofed dish.
- roll out puff pastry and place on the top of the beef mixture ensuring no gaps. brush milk with a pastry brush.
- bake in a preheated medium oven for 30 to 40 minutes until risen and brown.
We lived in Britain for 4 years and we loved the steak and ale pies! I struggled with handling the pastry crusts, but that was just me being clumsy. I thought the gravy was a bit runny so I thickened it up a bit. I should have used a darker ale than what I had on hand, but this was still very flavorful!
I used this to create a crock pot version, and found the ingredients to be spot on to what I had in England. It is very flavorful, and while my version is different, I couldn't have created it without viewing this. I am not starring it because I used a completely different technique, but wanted to pass on the awesome flavors I found.