Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
I went to a talk by a person from Taste of Home and she made some recipes that were "made over" to make it healthier and lower fat. This is one of them.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Combine the egg, buttermilk, oil and vanilla.
- Add to crumb mixture and stir until a soft dough forms.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead gently 6-8 times.
- Pat dough into a 6-inch circle and cut into eight wedges.
- Separate wedges and place 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Brush tops with milk; sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire rack and serve warm.
Low fat and this great?! These scones are wonderful. I don't usually eat stuff like this but our daughter does! She was so excited about these, and asked me to make them twice a week to take to school. And one for her friend.(HA!) These came together quickly. I spanked them into a little more than 6 inches, more like 8, and they turned out great! Thanks WI Cheesehead, great recipe and a keeper!