1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Add some British ingredients to a classic French dish and voila, you have a whole new experience. From the BBC (British Broadcasting Corp.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 50 g butter or 2 tablespoons drippings
- 1 kg onion, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon golden caster sugar
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- 150 ml cider
- 1 liter stock (vegetable or chicken, it's up to you)
FOR THE TOP
- 1Heat most of the butter or dripping in a pan, then add the onions, sugar and herbs.
- 2Season and cook, uncovered, over a low heat, stirring occasionally, for up to 40 mins until sticky and brown, pour in the cider and simmer until reduced by half.
- 3Pour in the stock, bring to the boil, then cook for 20 minutes
- 4TO SERVE:
- 5Heat the grill to high.
- 6Spread the bread on both sides with the remaining butter or dripping, then toast under the grill until golden.
- 7Scatter with cheese and place back under the grill until melted.
- 8Serve the soup in bowls with a slice of the toast floating in it, scattered generously with parsley.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for British Onion Soup
Serving Size: 1 (316 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 368.7
- Calories from Fat 175
- Total Fat 19.4 g
- Saturated Fat 11.9 g
- Cholesterol 53.0 mg
- Sodium 382.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 14.9 g
- Protein 11.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: