1/3 Photos of British Fig Rolls - Almost Better Than Shop Bought!
French Tart's Note:
This is a recipe I found many years ago for authentic Fig Rolls, and they are almost better than the shop bought variety, much though I love the commercial ones! Try to roll out the pastry as thinly as possible, other than that, this recipe is a breeze to make. Fig rolls are a much-loved "biscuit" from my childhood days and I make them whenever I can as I now live in France, as we cannot get them here. Fig rolls are great for a mid-morning snack with a cuppa as well as being ideal for school lunchboxes, picnics, gifts and afternoon tea. (I have posted this recipe on Zaar especially for Lalaloula, who asked about a fig roll recipe in the British forum.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 175 g dried figs, rinsed and coarsely chopped (6 oz)
- 1Lightly grease a baking sheet.Pre-heat oven to 175C/350F/Gas Mark 5.
- 2Put the figs in a saucepan with 300 ml (1/2 pint) water. Simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the figs are tender and the liquid is well reduced. Set aside to cool, then puree in a blender or food processor.
- 3Put the remaining ingredients for the pastry in a blender or food processor with 30 ml (2 tbsp) water and mix to a dough.
- 4Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface, then roll out to an oblong about 40 x 12 cm (16 x 5 inches).
- 5Spread the fig puree down the centre of the dough rectangle and carefully fold in the sides so that they overlap over the filling.
- 6Trim the ends of the roll and cut into 3 cm (1 1/4 inch) wide slices. Turn the rolls over and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- 7Mark the top of each roll with a wet fork and bake for 25-30 minutes, until lightly browned. Cool on a rack.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for British Fig Rolls - Almost Better Than Shop Bought!
Serving Size: 1 (38 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 149.0
- Calories from Fat 47
- Total Fat 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 109.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 2.3 g