3 hrs 15 mins
This is a nice easy baked doughnut type bun.. would buy these in the school cafe... on the way home from school many many times..we would gobble them up...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 ounces salted butter
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup warm whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (dissolved in the milk)
- 1 beaten egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon cold water
- 1Sift the dry yeast with the flour and sugar.
- 2Rub the butter into the dry mixture until you a fine crumb type mixture.
- 3Add the warm water and warm milk and salt combined together, into the dry mixture.
- 4Combine until a soft dough.
- 5Place onto a lightly floured board and knead 8 minutes.
- 6Of course all the above can be done in your electric mixer with a dough hook as you would any bread dough.
- 7Put dough into light oiled bowl, cover and let stand in a draft free warm area for 2 hours or until doubled.
- 8Punch dough down.
- 9Place again onto a board and knead by hand 4 minutes.
- 10Divide into 12 portions for the buns.
- 11Knead each portion into a nice round bun, and place onto a greased cookie sheet.
- 12Leaving enough room for rising in between.
- 13Set aside covered in a warm place until about 1/2 doubled in size or about 15 to 20 minutes.
- 14Brush with beaten yolk and water combined into a wash.
- 15Bake in a hot oven 450 degrees oven for 10 minutes.
- 16Reduce heat to 350 degrees for the last 15 minutes.
- 17Total baking time 25 minutes.
- 18OR until Golden brown-- Place on a wire rack to cool.
- 19When cold slit each bun and place in mock cream and a dab of lemon curd lengthwise in and along the slit.
- 20Dust all over with powdered icing sugar-- These are not sweet buns-- for added sweetness can place a jam of choice into the cut, with the cream.
- 21Mock Cream.
- 22Make a sugar syrup with the water and sugar in a saucepot.
- 23Just dissolve and bring to a boil and boil three minutes.
- 24Remove from heat and cool completely.
- 25When syrup is cold, beat the butter with the vanilla for a long time until it is white in colour and fluffy.
- 26Gradually while mixer is still beating pour in the cold syrup, beat constantly.
- 27Fill buns with the mock cream, or use ontop of tarts of choice.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for British Cream Buns
Serving Size: 1 (117 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 352.4
- Calories from Fat 113
- Total Fat 12.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.6 g
- Cholesterol 47.2 mg
- Sodium 197.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 22.9 g
- Protein 5.2 g