Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
Great one dish meals for seafood lovers.
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 fennel bulbs, cleaned and diced into 1 inch pieces
- 8 -10 ripe plum tomatoes, peeled,seeded and diced or 1 (25 ounce) can plum tomatoes, drained and diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups white wine
- 1 cup fish stock or 1 cup clam broth
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb mussels, in shell
- 1 lb clams in shell
- 8 ounces shucked scallops
- 1 lb prawns or 1 lb shrimp, in the shell
- 8 ounces salmon fillets
- 8 ounces white fish fillets (halibut, cod, bass et al)
- garlic butter, as needed
- French bread, as needed
- To make tomato sauce:
- Heat 4 T. olive oil over low to medium heat, and cook onion, 4 minced cloves garlic and fennel until vegetables begin to soften.
- Add tomatoes and increase heat to medium-high; cook until mixture bubbles.
- Stir in 1/2 c. wine and the fish stock.
- Lower heat and cook gently for about 15 minutes, until liquid is reduced to sauce-like consistency.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste and remove from heat.
- Prepare fish:
- Wash shellfish and shell prawns if necessary.
- Cut fish into 2 inch cubes.
- Heat 2 T. olive oil in a pot large enough to hold all the seafood.
- Saute 2 remaining minced garlic cloves over low to medium heat until soft but not browned.
- Add salmon, whitefish and prawns and saute for 3 to 4 minutes over increased heat.
- Add mussels, clams, scallops and remaining cup of white wine.
- Simmer until clams and mussels begin to open and prawns begin to change color.
- Add tomato sauce and simmer until heated through.
- Serve in bowls with garlic butter and plenty of french bread.