Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 3 hrs
Cook 4 hrs
- 400 g plain flour
- 5 ml ground mixed spice
- 5 ml cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon, rind of, grated
- 350 g butter
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 100 g currants
- 225 g sultanas
- 225 g seedless raisins
- 175 g glace cherries, washed and quartered
- 100 g almonds, SLICED
- 100 g mixed peel, CHOPPED
- 6 tablespoons brandy
- 30 ml black treacle
- 125 g walnuts
- 150 g soft brown sugar
- 150 g muscovado sugar
- 50 g almonds, GROUND
- to taste almond paste, to finish
- to taste royal icing, to finish
- Grease a 8 inch square cake tin; line it with greased greaseproof paper. Tie double brown paper round the outside.
- Sift the flour and spices together into a large mixing bowl and stir in the grated lemon rind.
- Cream the butter in a separate bowl and gradually beat in the sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the treacle and fold into mixture.
- Add the eggs beating the mixture after each egg.
- If the mixture curdles add a little flour.
- Lightly fold in the sifted flour with the fruit, nuts and mixed peel until evenly distributed.
- Add and mix in the brandy ( 3 tablespoons )
- Spoon the mixture into the cake tin and level the surface. Knock tin to get rid of air bubbles.
- Make an indentation in the centre to allow for the cake rising in the centre. Cover and leave in a cool place for 24 hours.
- Place an ovenware container of water on the bottom of the oven. Then place cake tin on a double piece of brown paper on middle shelf of oven and bake at 150 deg. C or 300 deg. F for 4 hours.
- Test to see if cooked by inserting a skewer in the cake which should come out clean.
- Cool cake in the tin for an hour then turn out onto a wire rack and remove the paper.
- When cold, prick the cake top with the skewer and spoon the remaining brandy over the cake surface. Wrap in fresh greaseproof paper then foil.
- Place inverted into an airtight tin for at least one month before covering the cake with almond paste. Finish off with royal icing and decorate to your preference.
Finally, I can make this just as my mum did.... I plan to do this by the end of the month.. thanks for sharing