My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 400 g plain flour
- 5 ml ground mixed spice
- 5 ml cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon, rind of, grated
- 350 g butter
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 100 g currants
- 225 g sultanas
- 225 g seedless raisins
- 175 g glace cherries, washed and quartered
- 100 g almonds, SLICED
- 100 g mixed peel, CHOPPED
- 6 tablespoons brandy
- 30 ml black treacle
- 125 g walnuts
- 150 g soft brown sugar
- 150 g muscovado sugar
- 50 g almonds, GROUND
- to taste almond paste, to finish
- to taste royal icing, to finish
- 1Grease a 8 inch square cake tin; line it with greased greaseproof paper. Tie double brown paper round the outside.
- 2Sift the flour and spices together into a large mixing bowl and stir in the grated lemon rind.
- 3Cream the butter in a separate bowl and gradually beat in the sugar until light and fluffy.
- 4Add the treacle and fold into mixture.
- 5Add the eggs beating the mixture after each egg.
- 6If the mixture curdles add a little flour.
- 7Lightly fold in the sifted flour with the fruit, nuts and mixed peel until evenly distributed.
- 8Add and mix in the brandy ( 3 tablespoons )
- 9Spoon the mixture into the cake tin and level the surface. Knock tin to get rid of air bubbles.
- 10Make an indentation in the centre to allow for the cake rising in the centre. Cover and leave in a cool place for 24 hours.
- 11Place an ovenware container of water on the bottom of the oven. Then place cake tin on a double piece of brown paper on middle shelf of oven and bake at 150 deg. C or 300 deg. F for 4 hours.
- 12Test to see if cooked by inserting a skewer in the cake which should come out clean.
- 13Cool cake in the tin for an hour then turn out onto a wire rack and remove the paper.
- 14When cold, prick the cake top with the skewer and spoon the remaining brandy over the cake surface. Wrap in fresh greaseproof paper then foil.
- 15Place inverted into an airtight tin for at least one month before covering the cake with almond paste. Finish off with royal icing and decorate to your preference.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for British Christmas Cake
Serving Size: 1 (321 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1275.0
- Calories from Fat 552
- Total Fat 61.3 g
- Saturated Fat 25.4 g
- Cholesterol 252.1 mg
- Sodium 415.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 163.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.6 g
- Sugars 95.9 g
- Protein 20.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: