Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a recipe from another web site and something DH grew to love when he lived in the Midlands of England. I usually substitute Fruit Bits by Sunmaid for the raisins and just use 1 cup of them.
- 6 1⁄4 cups whole wheat bread, cubed
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup dried mixed fruit
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees for a metal pan or 350 degrees for a glass pan.
- In a large bowl combine bread and milk and soak for 5 minutes.
- Stir in egg, butter, fruit/raisins, brown sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Mix well.
- Press into a 9 inch greased square pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Leave in pan to cool.
- Cut in squares.