1/8 Photos of British Beef and Onion Pie
1 hr 30 mins
A British classic, according to Jamie Oliver. He is my favorite British chef. This is definitely comfort food. It is also pretty inexpensive to make.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 medium onions
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery ribs
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb ground beef, I use ground round
- 1 teaspoon English mustard
- 1 teaspoon marmite
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, I use Lea and Perrins
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- 3 cups beef broth
- prepared pie dough, 2 - 2x9 inch, refrigerated
- 1 large egg (or a splash of milk)
- 1Beef Filling:.
- 2Peel and roughly chop the onions, carrots and celery.
- 3Remove the rosemary leaves from the stalks and finely chop.
- 4Put a large pan over high heat and add about 2 T. olive oil, all the chopped veggies, rosemary and bay leaves. Stir every minute for about 10 minutes, or until the veggies are softened and lightly colored.
- 5Stir in the ground beef and break up any large pieces.
- 6Add the mustard, Marmite, Worcestershire sauce and 2 t. of flour.
- 7Add the beef broth and bring to a boil.
- 8Turn the heat down, put a lid on, and simmer for about an hour. Make sure you stir it every so often. If at the end of the cook time the mixture is too soupy you can either thicken it with a little Wondra or flour or simply use a slotted spoon to get the meat mixture out without any excess liquid.
- 10Fill a large baking dish with the beef filling and let it cool.
- 11Remove the pastry from the refrigerator 10 minutes before you need to roll it.
- 12Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 13Dust a clean work surface and a rolling pin with some flour and lay the pie dough one on top of the other. Fold in half and roll the dough to 1/8-inch thick. Once it's large enough to cover the top of your serving dish, wind the pastry around your rolling pin and unroll it over the dish. Just patch up any rips or tears. Run a knife around the edge of the dish to trim off any extra dough.
- 14Using a fork, press down all around the edge of the dough to crimp it closed.
- 15Make a hole in the middle of the dough, using the tip of a knife.
- 16Brush the top of the dough with the beaten egg (or milk).
- 17Bake on the bottom rack of your preheated oven for about 40 minutes, or until the pastry is golden and crisp.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for British Beef and Onion Pie
Serving Size: 1 (500 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 393.1
- Calories from Fat 231
- Total Fat 25.7 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 123.6 mg
- Sodium 844.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 26.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: