Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
These are really good homemade baked beans (UK style, similar to Heinz baked beans here, not like Boston Baked Beans). It's a recipe which I got from Waitrose www.waitrose.com/recipes I'm putting it up here for safe keeping, this is now a firm family favourite. Please note that preparation and cooking times do not include the preparation of the beans.
- Soak the beans in cold water for 8 hours or overnight. Then cook according to pack instructions (I leave the lid off the pan, and add a tsp of baking soda to combat the gas producing side effects of beans. It works very well). Remember to boil well for 10 minutes before simmering, or you may get a tummy upset!
- Heat a large pan and add the bacon if using (if not using, make sure you use something else to lift the beans - more salt, a bit of chili, worcester sauce or whatever. These can also be added to the bacon version for still more flavour). Fry for 1 minute.
- Add the onion, celery (I use celery salt) and garlic, and continue to fry for 4-5 minutes until the bacon is cooked and the onion has started to soften.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes, black treacle and tomato puree. Bring to a simmer, then stir in the cooked beans. Return to the boil and simmer for about 10 minutes (or put into crockpot on low to be ready and waiting later).
- Stir in the chopped parsley then spoon over toast, into jacket potato, or whatever.
- Freezes well.