Recipe by The Skinny Truth
A creamy, sumptuous comfort food - perfect as a dessert or tea time treat.
- 5 tablespoons pudding rice
- 1 1⁄2 pints whole milk
- 5 tablespoons fruit sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 3⁄4 cup pitted dates
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted shelled pistachio
- 3 -4 saffron threads
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 pinch salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and drain rice.
- Chop dates and pistachios and set aside.
- Bring milk to boil in a heavy, nonstick pan.
- Add rice to the milk and simmer for 30 minutes until rice is cooked and milk is half its consistency and thickened.
- Add salt.
- Stir frequently to prevent rice from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Add dates, stir and cook for further 20 minutes.
- Add more milk if required.
- Add pistachios, vanilla essence.
- Simmer for 5 minutes then add the egg yolk.
- Stir, and add saffron.
- Cool and refrigerate for a few hours before serving.