Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup dry sherry
- 4 lbs beef brisket, tied
- seasoned flour (for dredging)
- 3 onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- buttered orzo pasta
- steamed broccoli
- Let the raisins marinate in the Sherry for 1 ½ hours.
- Preheat oven to 310 degrees F (150C).
- Pat the beef dry and dredge it in the flour.
- In a large ovenproof casserole just large enough to hold the beef, heat the oil over moderately-high heat until it is smoking.
- Brown the beef and transfer it to a plate.
- Add the onions and garlic to the casserole and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the onions are golden.
- Return beef to casserole and add broth.
- Bring to a boil and braise beef, covered, in oven (310F 150C) for 1 ½ hours Stir the tomato paste, sugar, vinegar and raisin mixture into the cooking liquid.
- Bring liquid to boil and braise beef, covered, turning 2-3 times for 30 minutes to 1 hour more.
- Transfer beef to a platter and keep it warm, covered loosely with aluminum foil.
- Skim fat from cooking liquid and reduce to about 1 cup.
- Season and keep warm.
- Slice beef across grain and arrange slices on platter.
- Pour some of the sauce over beef and serve remainder in sauceboat.