Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Savoury, with a fruity edge.
- 2 onions, sliced
- 3 lbs lean beef brisket
- 1 can beer (or more)
- 1 cup pitted prune, cut in quarters
- 1 cup dried apricot, cut in quarters
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon, zest of
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- buttered noodles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175C).
- Cut piece of aluminum foil large enough to wrap brisket.
- Sprinkle half of onion over foil in layer about the same size as brisket.
- Set brisket over onion; sprinkle remaining onion over top.
- Seal tightly.
- Set in large, shallow pan.
- Roast 3 hours.
- Combine beer with remaining ingredients in large saucepan and bring to boil over medium-high heat.
- Discard foil from brisket and spread fruit mixture over top.
- Reduce oven temperature to 310 degrees F (150C).
- Cover pan and continue roasting 1 hour, adding more beer to pan in sauce appears too dry.
- Transfer to heated platter.
- Surround with fruit and sauce.
- Serve over buttered noodles.