Recipe by CountryLady
An update to a traditional dish - from Canadian Living! Standing time is not included.
- 5 lbs single side beef brisket (about)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry red wine
- 1⁄2 cup orange marmalade
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon liquid honey
- 3 large onions, sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim all but a thin layer of fat from brisket& place in a large roasting pan.
- Combine next 7 ingredients in a small bowl& rub over both sides of the brisket.
- Stir remaining ingredients together in a bowl; pour over the meat, lifting it so it can flow underneath.
- Cover& bake in a preheated 325F oven, basting every 45 minutes, for 4- 4 1/2 hours or until very tender.
- Let cool slightly.
- Cover& refrigerate for at least 12 hours& up to 24 hours.
- Spoon off solid fat from pan.
- Transfer meat to a cutting board& slice thinly across the grain.
- If necessary, boil the liquid in the pan until it is reduced to about 4 cups.
- Return the sliced meat to the pan, cover& heat in a preheated 325F oven, basting occasionally, for 1- 1 1/2 hours or until hot.
- Arrange on a platter& spoon juices over the top of the meat.