Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Found this on another website. It's from a woman in Westchester, NY.
- 1 (4 lb) beef brisket
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 cups brewed coffee
- 1 cup chicken broth or 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 onion, peeled, sliced
- 1 carrot, scraped, sliced
- Trim all visible fat from brisket.
- Sprinkle the meat evenly with salt and pepper. Dredge in flour.
- Melt margarine in a big skillet over medium high heat.
- Add brisket and brown on both sides.
- Place onion and carrot slices into roasting pan and transfer the browned brisket to the roasting pan, and place on top of the vegetables.
- Whisk together coffee, broth, wine, ketchup and lemon juice. Pour over brisket.
- Bake, covered, at 375 degrees F. for one hour. Turn heat down and bake for 3 additional hours at 300 degrees F.
- Remove brisket from pan. Allow to cool slightly and cut across the grain with a sharp knife into thin slices.
- Strain pan drippings, using a gravy strainer, and discard fat. Serve sauce with brisket.