Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 hrs
The cranberry gravy is different than we are use to using with brisket. Normally I want to barbeque it, or smoke it, but this makes a nice change. Be sure to slice the brisket ACROSS the grain or it will loose the juices and be dry and tough. The grain does not go through the brisket straight, so be sure to keep turning the beef when the grain changes direction. That is an important secret!
- 1 (2 1/2 lb) fresh beef brisket (not corned beef)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- Trim excess fat from beef.
- Rub surface of beef with salt and pepper, and place brisket in 3 1/2 quart or larger crockpot.
- Mix remaining ingredients and pour over beef.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 10 to 12 hours or until beef is tender.
- Cut brisket across the grain into thin slices.
- Skim fat from cranberry sauce, if desired, and serve with the brisket.