Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Use fresh beef brisket, not corned beef.
Make and share this Brisket With Chunky Tomato Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (4 1/2 lb) fresh beef brisket
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup dry red wine or 1 cup beef broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 celery ribs, with leaves chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb carrot, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- Season brisket with salt and pepper. In a Dutch oven, brown brisket in oil over medium-high heat. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same pan, saute onions and garlic until tender. Place brisket over onions. Add the wine or broth, tomatoes, celery, thyme, rosemary, and bay leaf.
- cover and bake at 325°F for 2 hours, basting occasionally. Add carrots; bake 1 hour longer or until meat is tender. Discard bay leaf. Cool for 1 hour; cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Trim visible fat from brisket and skim fat from tomato mixture. Thinly slice beef across the grain.
- In a saucepan, warm tomato mixture; transfer to a shallow roasting pan. Top with sliced beef. Cover and bake at 325°F for 30 minutes or until heated through. Serve sauce over beef.