Brisket With Chunky Tomato Sauce
- Season brisket with salt and pepper. In a Dutch oven, brown brisket in oil over medium-high heat. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same pan, saute onions and garlic until tender. Place brisket over onions. Add the wine or broth, tomatoes, celery, thyme, rosemary, and bay leaf.
- cover and bake at 325°F for 2 hours, basting occasionally. Add carrots; bake 1 hour longer or until meat is tender. Discard bay leaf. Cool for 1 hour; cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Trim visible fat from brisket and skim fat from tomato mixture. Thinly slice beef across the grain.
- In a saucepan, warm tomato mixture; transfer to a shallow roasting pan. Top with sliced beef. Cover and bake at 325°F for 30 minutes or until heated through. Serve sauce over beef.