Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is made in a cooking bag which allows for easy clean up. This is from Bubba's Kitchen with Love and was posted by Reba Fineman. It has an apple and apple juice as ingredients which is a bit different. Applesauce can substitute. I have used applesauce with brisket before (Brisket Supreme).
- 4 -5 lbs beef brisket
- 1 yellow onion, quartered
- 8 -10 carrots, sliced
- 1 large apple, cored, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 1⁄2 cup wine, your favorite
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope onion soup mix
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. If using a glass baking dish, preheat oven to 325. Use a pan or dish that is 2" deep or deeper.
- Place meat in a cooking bag, fat side up. Place flour and onion soup mix in bag and shake to coat meat well, especially the non-fat side.
- Surround meat with carrots, onions and apple slices. Add wine and juice on the sides, careful not to remove the coating on the meat.
- Tie the bag and pierce top for venting.
- Place pan in center of oven. Bake 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Test for tenderness and leave out to cool. Remove bag carefully. Serve carrots separately.
- Use juices to make gravy by skimming off fat. Can add flour to this.
- Slice meat on the diagonal.