Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
From a community cookbook from Temple Beth Ahm in Verona, NJ called: Home Cookin'. This was submitted by Mildred Davidson. Bet most of the ingredients are in your pantry! SO simple and delicious! DH and kids really like it. I have made it in a crock pot and will give those directions too. You can add carrots to the crock pot for a more complete meal.
- 3 1⁄2-4 lbs beef brisket
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 cup red wine
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- Place brisket in a roasting pan.
- Combine all other ingredients in a bowl and pour over the meat in the pan.
- Bake, covered, at 350 degrees F. for 3 hours.
- Carve the meat against the grain and put meat back into the sauce and heat another 30 minutes and serve.
- For the crock pot:.
- I put fresh baby carrots in the bottom of a crock pot (about 2 cups).
- Next mix all ingredients except for the meat in a bowl.
- Put the meat, fat side up, on top of the carrots and pour the sauce over it.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or until the meat is fork tender.
- Remove the meat to a cutting board and let it cool there a bit. Trim the fat off the meat.
- Slice the meat against the grain and serve with the carrots and gravy. I skim the gravy in one of those gravy skimmers.
I cooked two briskets for a large family Hanukkah dinner. One fit in my slow cooker, one went into my oven. Both briskets turned out all right, the flavor was pretty good, the oven roasted one had a better finished texture. <br/>However, do not under any circumstances pour that sauce into a roasting pan. I am still scouring out the gummy, oily, charcoal a day later. Disgusting mess! It's far too sugary to sit at the bottom of a roasting pan for that long. Perhaps marinate the brisket over night and cook it down separate for a gravy. You can reduce the slowcooker drippings for a nice gravy, but not from the oven.