Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A hearty meal that puts a twist on the usual "meat and potatoes". I usually buy a 2 to 3 pound pre-seasoned brisket and let it slowly cook in a crockpot on low for 6-8 hours and serve the night before I'm wanting to make this stew and just use the leftovers, usually half the entire brisket, in this stew.
- 1 lb yukon gold potato, diced small (or other waxy potato)
- 1 lb beef brisket, cooked and diced
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 quart beef stock
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 -2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- Dice potatoes into small cubes; add to large pot with beef stock.
- Add enough water to cover the potatoes; bring to a boil and simmer until potatoes are done.
- While potatoes are cooking, finely chop onion.
- Add butter, onion and mushrooms to a separate pan and saute until onions are translucent and mushrooms are tender.
- Chop the cooked brisket into bite sized pieces.
- Add brisket, mushrooms, onions, half and half and the seasonings and simmer for 15-20 minutes. To help stew to thicken, mash some of the potatoes to release their starch or add a little cornstarch.
- Salt and pepper to desired taste.