Recipe by Oolala
This is from another website.
Top Review by Outta Here
This is one of the easiest and best brisket recipes I have ever done. The meat was very moist, tender and flavorful. Cooking time was right on. The tomatoes really added a nice bit of color and flavor. I didn't have to add any liquid. I really like that everything went in at once and I could "forget" about it. On a busy day that was a big plus!
- 1 (4 lb) beef brisket
- olive oil
- garlic salt
- 1 (28 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 9 carrots, scraped
- 10 white potatoes
- 4 whole garlic cloves
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Coat roasting pan with olive oil. Slice onion and place about a third in the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle with garlic salt and paprika. Put brisket on top of onions with fat side up.
- Cut the remainder of the vegetables and scatter them, along with the cloves of garlic, around the meat.
- Pour tomatoes over everything.
- Cover and cook for 30 minutes to sear the meat.
- Turn oven down to 350 degrees and cook for a minimum of 35 minutes per pound of meat (4 LB roast cooks for a minimum of 2 hours and 20 minutes).
- Uncover meat for last half hour to allow for browning.
- If you have more time, cook at 300 degrees and extend cooking time by about an hour. Watch that roast doesn't dry out, and add water, tomato juice or stock if necessary.