Prep 3 hrs
Cook 24 hrs
This Recipe was adapted from an old cookbook, known as "Second Helpings Please!" by the Mt Sinai Chapter #1091, Montreal Women's Bina Brith.
- 2 cups lima beans
- 3 onions, sliced
- 3 lbs beef brisket
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 red potatoes, quartered
- 1⁄2 cup barley (optional) or 1⁄2 cup oats (optional)
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- Rinse Beans in Cold Water, If dry, Soak for 8 Hours Rub Meat with Seasonings, (Garlic, Bay Leaf, Paprika).
- In A Dutch Oven, Or OvenProof, Stovetop Pot, Sweat the onions over medium heat.
- After Onions Brown, Add Barley, Potatoes, Add water, stir slightly before adding Brisket, and covering with water.
- Simmer for 3 hours. Then Preheat Oven to 200 degrees.
- Cover Pot and place in oven for overnight.
- Serve at noon following day.
killer and memorable from my youth and a New York Grandma!! 1/4/09 easy.. made in crockpot, added potatoes on top - they came out nice, not falling apart. I added some beef bouillon and a splash of red wine........mmmm Just like my old Jewish Grandma.