Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This recipe comes from Chef Jason Boso, Cowboy Chow restaurant in Dallas, TX.
- 3 -5 lbs beef brisket
- 2 large yellow onions, sliced
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 (28 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer
- 5 tablespoons dried ancho chile powder
- 1 tablespoon light chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3⁄4 tablespoon salt
- Trim and chop brisket into 1/2 lb pieces. Sear sides of beef in a large cast iron pot or braising pot. Remove meat when caramelized on all sides and saute sliced onions in rendered fat left in pot.
- In a side saute pan toast all spices together. Once onions are caramelized, scrape bottom of pot and then add all ingredients and meat.
- Cover meat 3/4 of the way with beer and stock. Cover and simmer for 5 hours or until meat falls apart.
- Serve with shredded cheddar and cracker. At the restaurant they serve with "Garlic Cheddar Spurs", which is puff pastry cut into stars and brushed with butter and garlic and topped with shredded cheddar, then baked to a golden brown.