4 hrs 30 mins
3 hrs 30 mins
In ‘Williams-Sonoma: Christmas’
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1814.36-2267.96 g flat cut beef brisket
- 44.37 ml olive oil
- 29.58 ml unsalted butter
- 354.88 ml finely chopped yellow onions
- 118.29 ml finely chopped carrot
- 118.29 ml finely chopped celery
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 354.88 ml dry red wine
- 59.14 ml brandy
- 14.79 ml tomato paste
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 2.46 ml dried thyme, crumbled
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- 473.18 ml low sodium beef broth
- 1Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- 2Pat the brisket dry with paper towels.
- 3In a large, heavy Dutch oven or flameproof casserole, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- 4Add the brisket and brown well on both sides, about 8 minutes total.
- 5Using a large fork, transfer the meat to a platter.
- 6Decrease heat to medium; add the butter and stir until melted, then add the onion, carrot, celery, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is tender and golden, 8-10 minutes.
- 7Remove the pan from the heat, add the wine and brandy, place over high heat, and bring to a boil.
- 8Stir to scrape up the browned bits from the pan bottom.
- 9Turn off the heat and stir in the tomato paste, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, thyme, and bay leaf.
- 10Return the brisket to the pan and add the broth.
- 11Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- 12Cover the pan tightly and transfer to the oven.
- 13Cook until the brisket is fork-tender, 3 to 3 ½ hours, turning the meat over after 1 hour and again after 2 hours.
- 14Transfer the brisket to a carving board and cut the meat against the grain into diagonal slices.
- 15Overlap the slices on a warmed deep platter and cover with foil.
- 16Skim the fat from the pan juices.
- 17Strain the vegetables and pan juices through a fine-mesh sieve set over a saucepan, pressing on the vegetables with the back of a large spoon to force some of the pulp into the pan.
- 18Set the pan over med-high heat, bring to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced to a thick, flavorful sauce, 15-20 minutes.
- 19Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- 20Pour the sauce over the sliced brisket and serve hot.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brisket Braised in Red Wine
Serving Size: 1 (283 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 399.6
- Calories from Fat 178
- Total Fat 19.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 118.6 mg
- Sodium 167.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 38.1 g