Cook2 hrs 30 mins
From "Bread Machine Magic." This recipe makes a 1 1/2 pound loaf.
Make and share this Briscoe's Irish Brown Bread (Bread Machine) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk (or 5 tablespoons dry buttermilk powder and 1 1/4 cups water)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup bread flour
- 2 tablespoons oat bran
- 1⁄3 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- Place all ingredients in bread pan, select Light Crust setting, and press Start.
- After the baking cycle ends, remove bread from pan, place on cake rack, and allow to cool 1 hour before slicing.
Wonderful tasting! I used the whole wheat setting, a full package of rapid rise yeast and currants to replace the raisins. I made this to accompany your Hungarian Stew for Spring 09 PAC.
Delicious! I'm not fond of caraway but put them in anyway. My whole crew loved the flavor and chewy, but not dense texture. Will make this again and again.
Oh-h-h the taste! Wow this is a good hearty, versatile bread. I added a tbsp of wheat gluten and used craisins because I didn't have raisins. I love the combination of dried fruit and caraway seeds. This is a bread that with compliment soup, stew and certainly makes a fragrant breakfast toast. Thanks, Carole in Orlando.