Recipe by KitchenManiac
This is a really delicious and different sweet bread. You'll feel like you are eating something from a classy french bakery. Simple and delicious. Worth the extra effort. Prep time doesn't include time for dough to double in size. Recipe was discovered in Donna Hay's "dining" cookbook
Top Review by K's
This was delicious!! Specially when eaten warm, with the warm chocolate center. I halved the recipe to get four servings. Next time though, I'd use less dough for each brioche and more chocolate in the center- personal preference. Otherwise, this was excellent! Thanks for the yummy recipe. It really did seem like something out of a classy bakery!!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup warm milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 125 g butter, softened and chopped
- 120 g dark chocolate, chopped into chunks about 15 g each
Directions See How It's Made
- Place flour and yeast in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook.
- Place warm milk, vanilla and sugar in a seperate bowl and mix until combined.
- Add milk mixture and egg yolks to flour and beat on medium speed until dough is a smooth ball.
- Continue beating, adding butter, a little at a time, until it is all incorporated and well beaten.
- Alternatively, mix the flour mixture and the yeast mixture in a bowl until a soft dough forms.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and knead until combined.
- Cover dough and set aside for 1 1/2- 2 hours or until it has doubled in size.
- Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until it is soft and elastic, then divide it into 8 equal pieces.
- Flatten dough slightly in the palm of your hand.
- Place a piece of chocolate in the middle of dough and fold over excess dough to enclose.
- Place brioche in greased and floured HIGH muffin moulds or Brioche tins, cover and set aside for 1 hour or until it is well risen.
- Bake in preheated 350F (160C) oven for 15-20 minutes or until brioche are golden brown.
- Serve warm with a strong coffee.