Forget skipping the fat or low cal when it comes to this recipe. Lots of eggs and cream...but really rich and good to eat. Takes some time, but really worth it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb fresh challah or 1/2 lb brioche bread, in 1/2 inch cubes (6 packed cups)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- confectioners' sugar
- 1Preheat oven to 350F.
- 2Bake bread cubes on baking sheet for 15 minutes stirring, until lightly toasted.
- 3Let cool.
- 4Shut off the oven With butter, grease shallow 3 qt baking dish.
- 5In a bowl, whisk eggs, cream, milk, honey, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg.
- 6Add bread: pour into baking dish.
- 7Cover and chill overnight Preheat oven to 350F.
- 8Bring 8 cups of water to boil Uncover bread mixture.
- 9Place baking dish in large roasting pan; pour enough boiling water into roasting pan to come halfway up sides of dish.
- 10Bake 1 hour or until a knife tests clean.
- 11Let cool on rack until warm.
- 12Dust with confectioners sugar and serve with creme anglaise Creme Anglaise: In a bowl, whisk yolks and sugar until slightly thickened and lemon colored, several minutes In a medium saucepan, heat milk over medium heat until bubbles form around edge.
- 13Slowly whisk hot milk into yolk mixture, pour back into saucepan.
- 14Place over medium low heat, stirring slowly and constantly scraping bottom and corners until sauce coats the back of the spoon.
- 15Should be the consistancy of eggnog- about 10 minutes or until 170F.
- 16Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
- 17Strain through sieve into bowl.
- 18Set bowl of sauce in ice bath.
- 19Stir continuously with rubber until cool.
- 20Transfer to serving pitcher; cover with plastic.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brioche-Honey Bread Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (220 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 444.5
- Calories from Fat 228
- Total Fat 25.3 g
- Saturated Fat 13.7 g
- Cholesterol 323.8 mg
- Sodium 200.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 30.4 g
- Protein 10.9 g