Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Brinjal is another word for egg plant. This is an Indian vegetarian dish.
Make and share this Brinjal Sambal recipe from Food.com.
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 canned tomatoes or 2 big fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 3 -6 green chilies (depending on how hot you like it!)
- 1 cardamom
- 2 cloves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Slice egg plant in half and put in a baking dish and cover with foil.
- Bake for about one hour until the egg plant looks greyish.
- Scoop it out and set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat oil and add onio.
- Then add spices.
- Cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, chillies and egg plant and cook until the vegetables are cooked and you may need to add a little water as you're cooking it so that it doesn't get too dry.
Simply scrumptious--a great vegetarian entree!
I posted a comment earlier, but for some reason it got nixed. I made this dish last night and it was great! I used canned tomatoes instead of fresh. I love eggplant and am always trying to find new recipes for it. Hope this review makes it this time :-)
I made this dish for supper tonight for my DD and myself. My DH is a meat and potatoes man so I thought I would try this as he is working tonight. I made it just as the recipe said, using the fresh tomato option and 5 chilies. I did need to add about 1/4 cup water as suggested to keep it from drying out. WE LOVED IT! A very good spicy vegetarian dish. Thanks, Ranikabani!