Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This one is a little different from the normal bottled pickles available in the market.It is quite easy to prepare & is really worth a try.This recipe is Neera Verma's recipe which one of my friend passed on to me. She loves it with Rice
- 500 g small aubergines
- 10 -15 g ginger
- 15 g red chilies
- 5 green chilies
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds (methi)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt or 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup peanut oil
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- Wash & clean the aubergines.
- Now peel them and carefully cut the upper stalk.
- Split the aubergines in quarters.
- Peel & slice the ginger piece.
- Grind red chillies, cumin seeds, mustard, fenugreek seeds in a little vinegar.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the ginger and the ground seeds in vinegar to a red colour.
- Now add the green chillies, salt and remaining vinegar.
- Mix well.
- Add aubergines and mix it properly.
- Cover the pan and cook on a low flame for 5 minutes.
- Be careful to wipe off the vapour that forms on the inside lid frequently.
- Remove from flame when aubergines soften.
- Cool completely.
- This will stay for 15 days.
I added Tamarind pulp instead of Vinegar. It's nice