Prep 6 hrs
Cook 30 mins
This is a famous and very popular Brinjal-Eggplant Pickle recipe from Goa, India
Make and share this Brinjal Eggplant (Aubergine) Pickle (Goa, India) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 kg eggplants (brinjal)
- 4 ounces ginger (5 inch)
- 6 ounces garlic cloves (3 North American large pods or 6 small pods)
- 5 ounces chili powder
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons black mustard seeds, powdered
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fenugreek seeds, roasted and powdered
- 2 tablespoons cumin seeds, roasted and powdered
- 3⁄4 cup salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups mustard oil (Indian grocery store) or 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons tamarind pulp or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons tamarind paste
- curry leaf, from Indian grocery store (optional)
- 1 1⁄4 cups vinegar
- Julianne or dice small brinjal-eggplant.
- Layer brinjal with salt alternately. Let stand 4-5 hours till water separates from vegetable.
- Squeeze in handfuls brinjal till water is removed. Keep in separate bowl.
- Grind ginger and garlic in some of the vinegar to paste.
- Heat oil till smoke starts rising. Fry brinjals two hand fulls at a time. Drain with slotted spoon and set aside. Wait for water to evaporate from oil, till the bubbles stop before frying another lot of brinjal.
- Add and fry garlic and ginger paste for 5 minutes.
- Add dry spices, fry 2 minutes.
- Add vinegar and tamarind, mix well for 1 minute.
- Add curry leaves and sugar, mix well.
- Add brinjal mix well and cook 1-2 minutes.
- Cool and bottle.
I added the spices without powdering. It was still tasty except that the methi seeds were hard. Next time I would roast them more.
Excellent recipe, made about one litre of pickle. Spices can be varied depending on taste. Wonderful way of using up my homegrown aubergines at the end of the year.