Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a very nice way to prepare a fowl for baking. It leaves a very moist, delicious result.
- 1 gallon cold water
- 1 cup table salt or 2 cups kosher salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 (3 1/2-4 lb) roasting chickens
- Combine all ingredients in a large pot (I use a large zip-lock bag).
- Add the chicken and let soak in the refrigerator for 3 1/2 to 4 hours (or 1 hour per pound).
- Rinse the chicken or other meat and cook as you usually would. It will be edible, but very salty if this is not done.
- I have also used this techique for brining pork and beef.
I adopted you for PAC Spring 2007. This was totally easy to make. I put everything together in a large pot, popped it into the fridge and rinsed and roasted the chicken before roasting. It was juicy and tasty. Next time I might add an onion and some garlic for a little extra flavour infusion, but on the other hand itâ€™s also nice enough as it is, depending on how Iâ€™d want to treat the chicken with herbs etc. Please see my rating system: 4 stars for a great recipe thatâ€™s quick and easy and gives a tasty bird. Thanks!