Prep 12 hrs
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Lower in fat then most, since there is much less butter and you get a tasty, juicy bird without basting.
- 2 rock cornish game hens
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice berry
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb (2 slices)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- Heat all brine ingredients until simmering then remove from heat.
- After brine has cooled, add two cleaned game hens, then place in refrigerator for at least 12 hours.
- After brining, rinse birds well.
- Sauté butter, onion, celery seed and sage until onion is nearly translucent.
- Stir in breadcrumbs and let cool slightly.
- Stuff the game hens and lay them on their backs in a roasting pan.
- Roast at 350 degrees for one hour or until juice runs clear when hen is pricked.
- If darker skin is desired, cook bird at 500 degrees for final ten minutes.
- Most people can only eat a half of a game bird at a sitting, so you can cut the birds in half before serving.
- NOTE: If you use table salt instead of Kosher salt, USE HALF AS MUCH, as table salt is MUCH saltier, and your bird will be inedible.
- Any kind of heavy bread will do, we use Ezekiel bread in our household, as we are allergic to wheat flour.