Recipe by Sweetiebarbara
Crispy and tender. I count soak time as passive cooking time, and do most of the prep while chicken is soaking.
- 1 gallon water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup kosher salt
- 1 (3 lb) whole chickens
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh parsley (minced fine)
- 1 teaspoon sage (if using fresh, 5-7 leaves)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh rosemary (minced fine)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme (minced fine)
- 2 1⁄2 lbs potatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Thoroughly dissolve sugar and salt into water.
- Soak chicken in brine for 1-3 hours (in refrigerator).
- Mix softened (room temperature) butter with herbs while chicken is in brine.
- Thoroughly rinse chicken and allow to drain, pat dry.
- Cut backbone out of chicken and flatten bird.
- Spray bottom part of broiler pan with vegetable oil.
- Scrub potatoes and cut into small bite sized pieces.
- Place potatoes in pan.
- Place flattened bird in top part of broiler pan, over potatoes.
- Loosen skin from flesh.
- Place herb butter between skin and flesh.
- Bake in hot oven (500 degrees) for 45 minutes to an hour. (or more, if potatoes are not browned).
- Serve with cooked spinach and hot crusty bread.