1/8 Photos of Brined, Herb Grilled Turkey
big daddy cook's Note:
I heard about brining from a couple of friends who like to cook and thought I'd try it out. I did some research on the web and came across this brining solution from Emeril. I have always grilled my turkeys with great results.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
turkey brine solution
- 1 1/2 cups salt
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 4 oranges, quartered
- 4 lemons, quartered
- 9 sprigs fresh thyme
- 6 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 3 gallons cold water
herb grilled turkey
- 1 (18 -24 lb) whole turkey
- 2 large oranges, cut into 1/8ths
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- salt and pepper
- 2 large yellow onions, cut into 1/8ths
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 large carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 bay leaves
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1/2 bunch fresh sage
- 6 sprigs fresh parsley
- 2 cups turkey stock, for basting
- 1To make the brining solution, dissolve the salt and sugar in 3 gallons of cold water in a large clean, heavy-duty, food grade plastic storage bag. Add the oranges, lemons, thyme, and rosemary.
- 2Rinse the turkey inside and out under cold running water. Soak the turkey in the brine, covered and refrigerated for up to 24 hours.
- 3Remove the turkey from the brine and rinse well under cold running water. Pat dry with paper towels inside and out.
- 4Place turkey, breast side up, in a large, foil roasting pan with a rack. Rub breast side with orange segments and rub on all sides with the butter, stuffing some underneath the skin.
- 5Season lightly inside and out with salt and pepper.
- 6Stuff the turkey with the onion, remaining orange, celery, carrot, bay leaves, thyme, rosemary, sage and parsley.
- 7Loosely tie the drumsticks together with kitchen string. Grill the turkey, uncovered, breast side down for 1 hour.
- 8Remove from the grill turn, and baste with 1/2 cup stock. Cover with foil and continue grilling with the breast side up until a meat thermometer registers 165 degrees F when inserted into the largest section of thigh about 3 to 3 1/2 hours total cooking time. Baste the turkey once every hour with 1/2 to 3/4 cup chicken or turkey stock.
- 9Remove from the grill and place on a platter. Tent with aluminum foil and let rest for 20 minutes before carving.
Browse Our Top Whole Turkey Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Turkey Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brined, Herb Grilled Turkey
Serving Size: 1 (1417 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1008.9
- Calories from Fat 413
- Total Fat 45.9 g
- Saturated Fat 14.9 g
- Cholesterol 353.9 mg
- Sodium 14522.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 35.8 g
- Protein 103.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: