Recipe by Eric N. Frankel
This is a recipe that will not only infuse your chicken with unbeatable flavor, it will make it virtually impossible to dry it out while cooking.
- 2267.96-2721.55 g whole chickens
- 59.14 ml salt
- 29.58 ml ground pepper (peppercorn medley ( white, green, red, and black)
- 9.85 ml sage
- 9.85 ml rosemary
- 9.85 ml thyme
Directions See How It's Made
- Clean chicken and set innards in a medium pot 1/2 full of water. Simmer on a very low flame, covered, for 1-1/2 hour. Add salt and pepper to taste. This step can wait until you put the chicken in the oven if you prefer.
- Combine spices in a bowl large enough to cover the chicken. Start with 2 cups of water and stir until salt is dissolved.
- Place chicken in bowl, breast down, and cover with water.
- Cover bowl with cling wrap and let soak 1 hr per pound (eg.: soak a 6 pound bird for 6 hours).
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place chicken, breast side up, on a 1/2 sheet pan with wire cooking rack, filled 1/3 full with brine solution, and cook for 1-1/2 hours.
- Remove chicken from oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes before cooking.