Prep 2 hrs 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
I was going through the recipes on here and I found two that I liked. So I combined them and figured I’ve give it a try for Thanksgiving this year. The two recipes that I combined are Honey Brined Herb Roasted Turkey Honey Brined Herb Roasted Turkey by Mirj and Brined and Roasted Whole Turkey Brined and Roasted Whole Turkey by Joanie Grow.
- 1⁄2 cup salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 gallon cold water
- 6 lbs whole turkey
- 4 tablespoons butter (2 1/2 softened, 1 1/2 melted)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 lemon
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Remove giblets and neck from turkey.
- Rinse turkey with cold water.
- Combine salt, sugar and water in a large stockpot until completely dissolved.
- Place turkey in the brine until completely submerged.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 2 ½ hours.
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Remove the turkey from the brine and pat dry with paper towel.
- Mix the softened butter with half of the pepper, onion powder, Garlic powder, parsley flakes, thyme, basil, sage, paprika.
- Place turkey on rack in roasting pan.
- Squeeze lemon juice into the main turkey cavity.
- Put the squeezed lemon halves into the cavity.
- Rub the seasoned butter under the skin.
- Brush the skin with the melted butter and rest of seasonings.
- Pour the 1 cup chicken broth over the pan bottom to prevent drippings from burning.
- Loosely cover with aluminum foil to prevent over browning, remove foil during last 45 minutes of cooking.
- Roast turkey, basting with poultry stock every half hour or so.
- Continue to roast until thermometer registers 180°F in the thigh, or 170°F in the breast.
- Remove turkey from the oven and allow it to cool before carving.