Prep 5 mins
Cook 24 hrs
Depending on size of turkey, you may need to proportionally increase the brine recipe. This recipe is for a 14 – 16 pound turkey. I use a 5 gallon plastic painter's bucket with a lid. Mine is bright orange and clearly labeled "Turkey Brinning Only" in a permanent marker so DH wont use it for his projects! Use only with fresh trukeys that have nothing added.
- 2 1⁄2 gallons water
- 1 1⁄2 cups kosher salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 bay leaves, torn into pieces
- 1 bunch thyme
- 1 head garlic, cloves separated and peeled
- 5 allspice berries
- 4 crushed juniper berries
- Heat all until sugar and salt dissolve.
- Chill completely.
- When ready to brine turkey, select a pan that the turkey just fits into and pour in brine.
- Keep turkey completely covered with brine.
- You may submerge turkey 2-4 days.