Prep 5 mins
Cook 12 hrs
This is the brine recipe my Mom always used when smoking fresh lake fish, cornish game hens, chicken, porkchops, even duck or goose. It is an all purpose brine. Make sure your food is completely covered by the brine. Put a plate on top of it weighed down with a large clean rock (she had a rock reserved for this purpose) if needed. Soak in brine for 6 - 12 hours & then smoke according to any chosen recipe you are using.
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar (packed)
- 1 cup coarse salt (pickling or any non-iodized)
- 3 quarts water
- 3 tablespoons seasoning salt (Lawry's)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Soak fish or meat in brine a minimum of 6 hours or as indicated in smoker instructions.
- Smoke using your desired recipe & wood chips.