Prep 25 hrs
Cook 5 hrs
My uncle was the fish smoker in the family until he passed away. No longer are we treated to his wonderful smoked fish. During one conversation I said "heaven forbid" but what if? His answer to my recipe request was salt, sugar and water. And of course it did not taste like uncle's. Found a couple of recipes, tweaked and combined them and I seem to have passed the smoked fish taste test. Still doesn't taste like uncle's but think of him every time I make and taste smoked fish.
- I bring this to a simmer over medium heat until all sugars are melted and combined with the salt and water.
- Cool and pour over salmon pieces. ( I do not use all the brine and will have to tweak further ).
- Place in the fridge for at least 24 hours.
- Drain fish and pat dry.
- Place on racks for about 1 hour, blotting with paper towel occasionally.
- Place in smoker for 5 hours, checking and adding smoking chips.