Recipe by labouchet
This is the best version of "mock" chopped liver I've ever tasted (Thanks Sid). Makes a great vegetarian deli-style sandwich on some good pumpernickel, with some lettuce, tomato, and sliced raw onion.
Top Review by kkherman
Steamed fresh green beans, used canned and drained lentils -- and added just a pinch each of freshly grated nutmeg and dried thyme. No need to call this "fake" anything -- it's really delicious!
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- 1 -2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 -3 cups onions, thin sliced or chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups well cooked green beans, chopped (even canned works in this)
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, coarse chopped
- 3⁄4 cup cooked brown lentils
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 -3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly toast the walnuts in a heavy based pan.
- Set aside.
- Saute onions in the oil, cooking until golden (but NOT burned).
- Add tomato paste to this and cook 1 more minute.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Add onion mix, toasted walnuts, and remaining ingredients to blender or food processor and grind together well (add a few spoons of water or vegetable broth, if necessary).
- Taste for additional salt and pepper.
- Chill for 4 hours (this also allows the flavour to develop).
- Bring to room temperature for serving.