Recipe by Kting
My favorite fresh tomato soup. Easy and delicious, this soup provides a bright spot in color and in taste. I once had a friend literally eat the very last of the soup out of the pot while he was supposed to be doing the dishes!
Top Review by Three Kids Make Me Crazy
I just made this the second time for my husband and realized I forgot to rate it. He has always liked that nasty condensed stuff and this finally convinced him that it really is gross. I used two cans of diced tomatoes (including the juice) in lieu of the fresh tomatoes as they're out of season. I also added a couple cloves of garlic as he likes a bit spicier soup. This also freezes EXTREMELY well. Just pop it in the microwave, then add sour cream and parm. Thanks for a great soup that emabled me to stop being embarrassed about buying that junk in a can!
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3 medium fresh tomatoes
- 12 ounces tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar, to taste
- 2 medium sweet onions
- salt, to taste
- white pepper, to taste
- 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth or 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- sour cream, to garnish
- grated parmesan cheese, to garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onions in butter until transparent.
- Add tomato paste, sugar, 4 cans (a total of 58 oz.) broth and all seasonings.
- Chop tomatoes in food processor (don't pulverize) and add all together.
- Simmer for 40 minutes before serving with crusty French bread or sourdough rolls.