Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Fresh ginger root and lemon juice give a light, bright taste to the carrots. To make vegan, switch vegetable oil for the butter. Adapted from Washington Post 1997 recipe.
- 2 lbs carrots
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated gingerroot
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees, and put rack near bottom of oven.
- Cut carrots into 1/2-inch slices.
- Toss carrots and melted butter in a 12-by-2-inch roasting pan. Arrange the slices in the pan so they touch as little as possible. Roast 15 minutes.
- For the glaze: In a small bowl, combine juices, sugar, ginger, salt and cumin.
- Remove carrots from oven, pour the glaze over, and turn the slices over in the liquid. Roast 10 more minutes. Carrots should be easy to pierce with a sharp knife but still firm.
I did adjust quantities to suit the two of us, and another time I would cut my carrots bigger, but the flavours were fabulous and I do like how I could pop them in the oven to cook while busy with other dishes, a fuss-free side!!! Thank you treehuggin', a lovely vegetable dish, much enjoyed, made for PAC Fall 2012