Fresh ginger root and lemon juice give a light, bright taste to the carrots. To make vegan, switch vegetable oil for the butter. Adapted from Washington Post 1997 recipe.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees, and put rack near bottom of oven.
- Cut carrots into 1/2-inch slices.
- Toss carrots and melted butter in a 12-by-2-inch roasting pan. Arrange the slices in the pan so they touch as little as possible. Roast 15 minutes.
- For the glaze: In a small bowl, combine juices, sugar, ginger, salt and cumin.
- Remove carrots from oven, pour the glaze over, and turn the slices over in the liquid. Roast 10 more minutes. Carrots should be easy to pierce with a sharp knife but still firm.