Recipe by Leslie in Texas
I got this recipe from my good friend, Dawn, after she served it at a party over 20 years ago I love brie and this recipe showcases it well! It makes an impressive presentation and the apricot topping pairs wonderfully with the warm brie.This is great for a party, shower, or any large gathering.Serve with any plain cracker, such as water biscuits, or slices of a thin baguette.
- 2 lbs brie round
- 1 (17 1/2 ounce) package frozen puff pastry
- 3⁄4 teaspoon water
- 1 egg, beaten
- 12 ounces dried apricots
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts or 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- strawberry, for garnish
- mint leaf, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Place water, apricots,and honey in a small saucepan and simmer about 8 minutes until apricots are soft, but not mushy.
- Turn heat to high and quickly evaporate remaining liquid.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Put nuts on a baking sheet and toast for about 8-10 minutes, or until nuts are golden. Set aside.
- Trim top layer of rind off brie.
- Arrange apricot mixture evenly over the top of the brie; sprinkle with the toasted nuts.
- Roll pastry lightly with as few strokes as possible to fit bottom and to come over the sides 1/2 inch above the top of brie; brush 1/2 inch overlap with water.
- Roll second sheet of pastry very lightly and, using the top of the brie box as a guide, cut dough exactly to fit top of brie.
- Place pastry on top of brie and press edges lightly together to seal with a fork.
- Cut out flowers, leaves or other decorative shapes out of remaining pastry dough, brush backs with a little water, and decorate the top of the brie.
- Lightly beat egg and water together and brush top of prepared brie with mixture.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until pastry is golden brown.
- Wait 45 minutes to an hour to allow cheese to slightly solidify.
- Place on serving dish, garnish with strawberries and mint leaves, and serve.