Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is such a yummy soup that you won't hesitate to give it to guests if they come by unannounced!
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped (mostly white part)
- 4 tablespoons shallots, diced (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 6 tablespoons sherry wine, divided
- 3 cups chicken broth, less salt
- 2 cups evaporated skim milk
- 4 ounces brie cheese, rind removed, cubed
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Sauté onions, shallots, and mushrooms in margarine for 5 minutes in a non stick skillet.
- Add 3 Tbsp sherry and chicken stock and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add milk and cheese and stir until cheese is melted and soup begins to thicken.
- Combine cornstarch and remaining 3 Tbsp of sherry and stir into soup.
- Continue cooking until soup is thickened.
- Season with pepper and nutmeg.
- Taste; add salt if needed.
Hi, Tish! Your recipe is simmering on the stove as I type. It is DELICIOUS! I used Cream Sherry because I had on hand and goofed when I added all 6 tablespoons to the pan. I ended up still using 3 more tablespoons with the cornstarch. Sure didn't hurt the taste a bit. This is our first use of "Brie" and it won't be the last. Love cheese, but just haven't tried Brie before. Thanx for a great recipe!
This tasted alot like cream of mushroom soup. And I couldn't get the brie cheese to melt. I cooked for a long time. But still worth trying. Smelled wonderful.
this soup is awesome! Exactly like the one we had at an upscale eatery in town. I ddn't have shallots so used one clove of garlic, minced. I also left out the nutmeg.