Recipe by English_Rose
A warming cheese soup served with little cranberry toasts. Serves four as a creamy appetizer or two as a comforting suppertime meal. Can be made 24 hours ahead without the taosts.
Top Review by Julie B's Hive
Used a PrÃ©sident brie and while the addition of cranberry toast was a strage one it was also a delightful one. Unfortunately, we found the soup gritty and the cornstarch did little to thicken the soup; I had to let it sit for a few hours before it gained a thicker consistency. It may have been my fault, I just don't know. Made and reviewed for ZWT3
For the soup
- 1 ounce cream cheese, with garlic and herbs (eg Boursin)
- 4 ounces brie cheese, cut into cubes
- 1 2⁄3 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup single cream
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 -2 tablespoon white wine (optional)
- 4 slices French baguettes
- 1 (8 ounce) jar cranberry sauce
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Put all soup ingredients into a liquidizer and blend until smooth.
- Strain through a sieve. Can be stored in fridge for 24 hours at this point until ready to cook / serve.
- When ready to cook / serve, prepare cranberry toasts.
- Lightly toast the slices of French bread, then spread with a little cranberry sauce.
- Put soup in a heavy based saucepan, making sure to gather any thick mixture at the bottom of the container, and stir well. Gradually bring to boiling point, stirring all the time, then simmer gently for 1 minute.
- Serve in warmed soup plates with a slice of cranberry toast floating on top, and the whole sprinkled with chopped parsley.
- Cook's note: for a crunchier texture French bread can be oiled and cooked in a hot oven for 3 minutes.